Trekking through rice fields and villages

Saturday, December 12, 2009

OM SWASTYASTU
(A Balinese greeting which means prayers for auspiciousness and well-being to all)

My name is IDA BAGUS KETUT DHARMA. I am an ARTIST and also a GUIDE. I lead a rice paddy field and herb walk from Sakti Village, near Ubud, to Keliki village.

I live in a small, rural traditional village called Keliki which is located just 20 minutes drive north of Ubud. One of the five styles of traditional Balinese styles of paintings originated from my village; hence this type of paintings are simply called the Keliki style. I am an ARTIST who paints in this traditional Keliki style that is characterized by black and white detailed drawings that depict traditional village life and ceremonies. Prior to the introduction of colors by western artists who resided in Bali in the early twentieth century, all traditional Keliki paintings are done only in black Chinese ink. I learned this art from my grandfather who was a very famous Keliki artist. Being the only remaining Keliki artist in my village, I now teach this style of painting to many children from my village, hoping that a few of them will continue this traditional art form.
I am fortunate that my paintings have been exhibited and sold by several major art museums and galleries in Bali, and are collected by many local and overseas art lovers. However, because I am very passionate about keeping the traditional art true and alive, I do not churn out low quality paintings every few weeks just to sell to collectors. In fact, it sometimes takes me 12 to 18 months to complete a painting like the one shown in one of the photos to your right.
I am a TOUR GUIDE. I lead walking tours through rice fields, rural villages, spice plantations and a tropical forest. My 7-Km trek usually start from Sakti Village in Ubud, and end up in my village, Keliki. This trek takes about 2 to 3 hours (note: shorter treks are possible). Along the way, I will explain about Balinese rice cultivation, the subak system of irrigation and also about medicinal herbs and plants. At the end of the trek, you are invited to my home so that you can see how a traditional family compound and home looks like. My wife will cook you an authentic Balinese meal.

In addition to nature treks, I can also assist in organizing the following:

  • Bicycling tour: Bicycling downhill from the volancano through backroads and rural villages to Keliki village (p.s. I do not lead this tour)
  • a traditional Balinese cooking class.
I am also a village PRIEST and I am sometimes asked to perform village ceremonies such as tooth filing and major life's events. Because I am from the Brahman (or priest and healers caste), I also learned about medicinal plants and herbs from my grandfather.
If you plan to visit Bali, the Island of the Gods, I will be delighted to be your CULTURAL and NATURE WALK GUIDE. The best way to contact me is to call me at:

  • +62 81 999 218 570, or
  • +62 85 8574 54144
If you have any questions or wish to make a booking, please feel free to write to me in simple English at my email address, guslpainter@yahoo.co.id

TERIMA KASIH BANYAK!
(
Thank you very much)

NOTE: My name is Choy, and I am a good friend of Ida Bagus. I wrote the above essay about him because he is a very humble and kind person who would never write about himself. His art is truly incredible. He is probably the last remaining true Keliki artist. I also have been on several of his treks and he is a treasure house of cultural and medicinal plants information.


10 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your blog. I like the pictures. Keep the posts coming. I really enjoy reading about other places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike & I were fortunate to get to know Ida Bagus Ketut Dharma. Thanks Choy, for introducing us to this humble and gentle man. We thoroughly enjoyed our trek through the padi fields with Ida Bagus. He showed us the different medicinal plants along the way and took time to explain which plant is used for which ailment. It was definitely a wonderful and educatinal experience for us. It was a bonus when he pointed out a praying mantis in the middle of laying its eggs. Nature at its best! At the end of the trekking we were greeted by his beautiful wife who had prepared us a delicious Balinese lunch. We are also the proud owner of one of his Keliki paintings. You are awesome, Ida Bagus Ketut Dharma!
    Mike & Snow

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ida was so kind to take me on an unforgettable trek through the the paddyfields of Ubud, and I learnt a lot about Balinese culture and life from him.

    He was very humble and patient with me, and he was more than happy to accept me on the tour even though I was travelling alone. His wife and family was extremely hospital and prepared a delectable feast for me when I arrived.

    I was touched by his love for his community and his passion for his craft, and he has an incredible talent for painting which surely rivals some of the artwork I've seen in the many art musems I have been to all over the world.

    I will be sure to recommend my friends and anyone travelling to Ubud to contact Ida for a tour- it will be the highlight of your time in Ubud! :)


    Love,
    Tricia from Singapore
    lulusayshi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ida,

    I have uploaded some pictures from my trip here-
    https://picasaweb.google.com/kopitiamgirl/TheMagicOfUbud#

    :)

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ida Bagus

    thank you for bringing my husband and me on such short notice around beautiful Ubud and your village on Sunday afternoon. It was a fantastic trek and we'd love to see you again next year! :)

    Jack & Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ida is an artist in two ways, in his drawings and in being human! We have enjoyed his company and knowledge on the hiking and riding tour! Also a big thank you to his family for making the delicious meals.

    Good luck to you and your family
    Nico, Diet, Janne & Ties

    We hadden het gsm-nr van Ida doorgekregen via andere reizigers en zijn hier heel blij voor. Ida is een zeer warm persoon met liefde voor wat hij doet! Z'n glimlach straalt mooier dan de zon en z'n kennis over de natuur is een geweldige aanvulling tijdens de trekking. Wij hebben alleszins een geweldige dag beleeft en hopen dat hij dit voor toeristen zal kunnen blijven doen. Dit is een volledig Balinese "onderneming" en we steunen op deze manier het idee dat het geld van toeristen in Bali ook in Bali moet blijven. De meeste andere toeristenkantoren zijn immers in handen van buitenlandse bedrijven.

    Bedankt Ida & family !
    Nico, Diet, Janne & Ties

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for a great trekking. Learned some more about the rural sight near Ubud. IT was pleasant to meet you and we enjoyed your information about herbs, people, religion, culture and thanks for the cooking and art we encountered at your place.Thank you very much.
    Liesbeth & Nico

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Ida for a great time in the rice fields and in your home. It was a great experience and the kids loved it. We all learned lots of things on herbs, fruits, people and culture.
    You are a true artist and your painting is right on one of our wall in our living room in Paris !
    We wish you and your family the best.
    Ariel and Family

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Ida and family,

    Last week we enjoyed a bike tour through the beautiful area around Keliki. We loved every minute of it. Our 2 girls (5 and 7) had a child seat and had the best time of their holiday. You were taking all the time, we could stop for pictures but it felt also exciting to go fast down hills and through the sawa's /ricefields. You invited 'oma' for the lunch at your place as well. She loved being at your beautiful place and loved all the food. You and your family are kind and we were pleased to get to know you. All the best for you and your family, terimia kasih! Fam. Van den Dool, Rotterdam, Netherlands and Oma Loes de Hoog

    ReplyDelete